Friday, December 13, 2013

3 months!



  “…all His work is done in faithfulness.” Psalm 33:4

A side note from the post below…I know it seems as though I have gone through a lot of negative stuff: sickness, mice in my bed, cell phone getting stolen, ect. Trust me, in those moments I was angry and discouraged but dwelling on the harder parts does no one any good. I am told by scripture to consider it all joy and to praise Jesus all the same during these hard moments. It hasn’t been effortless but with each passing trial and decision to count it with gratitude the sting of it all has lessened and my heart has felt true peace. Sometimes it is easier to update about the tougher moments, asking people for prayer and so on…but the wonderful, happy moments of life here have been abundant and lovely and through every day and every experience the Lord has been present- a solid truth that is so comforting. With that said…here is my heart in words after three months of living in Ethiopia. 
These past months, my life has been a constant pouring out and filling up. As I pour out my energy and my heart into the work I am doing here I am often left with a paradoxical feeling of weariness and complete joy. It is the world fighting its war against my soul as Jesus calmly heals. Life here is heavy, as I work with people who are fighting struggles bigger than anyone should ever face and everywhere I go I experience the drastic brokenness of the world we live in. Abused women, homeless children, people laying on the road, I don’t know if they are dead or alive…it is a lot to take in. It is in these moments of sadness that Jesus has reminded me of Himself through the women and children I spend my days with. With their contagious smiles the women always restore my joy. The children, with all of their childlike qualities can always make me laugh to the point of happy tears. Ethiopians are strikingly beautiful on the outside but far more so on the inside. Their absolute and constant kindness seems to know far more about the character of the Gospel than I could ever imagine. I seem to always be saying to myself “They get it.” They understand what it means to be Christ-like. With countless hugs and words they have been the face of Jesus to me in the moments when I needed it most. I wrote in a post a while back that I wanted to help the women I work with discover how beautiful and fulfilling life can be, and as I walk alongside them teaching them and loving them they have equally reciprocated the lessons and have shown me how beautiful life is as I walk my own journey of growth and discovery. As it is for most educators, I have left my classes with them feeling more like a student than a teacher. These women have taught me how to deeply care for people, and how to invest into someone’s heart. They have shown me the great importance of relationship on a whole new level. The children have taught me how to be carefree and happy in simple situations. These women and children have done more than just befriending me, they have filled my heart to the brim and I am so thankful that I know people as remarkable as them!!!
As I look back and start to see the small pixel moments of the past three months form a picture, I am amazed at it all. As three months come to an end, and I take a hiatus from my African life, I just have to say that my cup absolutely runs over for Ethiopia. God has been evident in my rich experiences here (and even in the not so rich ones), and as I learn more and more about the one I follow, I am left only in awe. I serve an extravagant God.

I cannot wait to laugh, talk and play with my dearest friends and family…You guys are the best.
So much love,
Becca

Also, a little story I never shared: Ethiopian’s genuine goodness displayed at its finest: A woman came up to me on my 2 mile walk home from the store and offered to help me carry the four bags of heavy groceries I had. Embarrassed, I said no but she insisted. She helped me the whole way home. Blessed by this woman’s kindness to help me, someone she had never met before and will probably never see again

1 comment:

  1. Becca, I am a high school friend of your dad's, and I'd like to know if I can make a small donation to you, or send you any supplies or the like. I think the work you are doing is just amazing, and I wish my kids had your passion for Christ (they will someday--He promised me that--but I know I have to faithfully wait on His timing, because the Glory of it will be His). You are extremely brave and kind, and I know your parents must be swelling with pride for the beautiful soul they raised. God bless you and keep you, and may your days in Ethiopia be blessed and fruitful. -Lisa Scarnato Hyman (I'm following you on Facebook, so you can message me there)

    ReplyDelete