Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Bye bye cell phone


I am walking down a busy street. Rahel and I are on our way to our favorite restaurant. Tonight is the only night I have carried my wallet, phone and keys without a purse. I knew from the get go it was a stupid idea. I put my wallet inside of my jacket, my keys in the left pocket and my phone in the right. It was so cold and we had a long way to go. Rahel and I were joking about how in America I would be able to drive everywhere and I wouldn’t have to walk so much. I thought to myself that I would sort of miss the walking. The street we were walking on was so crowded and the road was in a traffic jam. So many car horns were going off. It was madness. I oddly like situations like these…the chaos doesn’t bug me. I had my hands in my pockets gripping my phone and my house keys. Everyone has always warned me to keep my iPhone hidden. The next moment a man is grabbing my arm. It really hurts. His friend is with him about to touch Rahel. I’m yelling “Stop” His fingers press harder into my arm. It was a weird situation; Rahel and I kept walking as we were being “attacked” by these two guys. At first it was more of an annoyance that an attack in my mind. I thought he was drunk or crazy; it wasn’t the first time someone had come up to me and sort of hassled me a bit. I didn’t really try to defend myself at first because it didn’t seem that alarming. This is all happening in seconds. His hand is really hurting my arm so I take my hand out of my pocket. I decided I needed to hit this guy because he wasn’t letting go and nothing that Rahel and I were saying seemed to work. Becca Carucci has never hit someone out of defense, so this is a climactic moment of her life. This was the dumbest move because when I took my hand out of my pocket his hand went in. He took my phone and I didn’t even realize it because of the adrenalin rush I had from hitting someone (haha….) Anyways, he ran off and as Rahel and I looked at each other, about to debrief what had just happened, I put my cold hand back in my pocket and realized he had stolen my phone. Just thankful it was my phone and nothing else, thankful he didn’t hurt me or Rahel. That’s my exciting, sucky story for the night. Friends, I get on a plane for Seattle in 3 days and I could not be any more thrilled. See you soon.
So much love,
Becca

No comments:

Post a Comment