Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Update, first three weeks back


My first three weeks back have been busy and wonderful. I am doing a lot of work this second half to make sure the work I have already done stays sustained after I leave. This involves writing a lot of details, filming classes, and transfering info.

The nursery is looking to hire another worker because they have from ten to fifteen babes with only two staff members. So until they get another worker I volunteer every morning…which I just love. I have gone a little crazy with the pictures of baby Isaac. He greets me every morning by shouting my name and clapping like a crazy…so cute. I absolutely love that I get to spend my mornings this way.

Meron, who recently started working at the childcare center has been such a help to me. She translates for most of my classes and also helps teach. She is pregnant and I am convincing her to name her little girl Becca. She asked me what my name meant and I told her perfection…so…;) Crossing my fingers on that one. When I leave she will most likely be taking over all teaching…so grateful it is in her hands. She is wonderful with the kids and they love her. This is the first year of the after school program so I have had a lot of freedom to build it the way I like it, it will be hard to leave this big project but knowing Meron is running it will bring heaps and bounds of peace!

Rahel was getting a pan from under the sink the other day and a rat the size of my hand ran out. Thankfully Zewdu was close by so he came and stomped on it. What a guy. It is a miracle I have not lost sleep since then…or gone mentally insane. I hate all things creepy crawly. 

This morning on our way to work we kept hearing roosters. And then we started seeing crowds of chickens walking alongside the road…we kept walking to find a truck that had been storing their chickens in potato sacks -- they had chewed through and escaped. It was a little chicken uprising. Everyone had stopped their walks to watch these poor men trying to collect their hundreds of rebellious chickens. Hilarious.

Thankful for all of you back home, as always you encourage me greatly! 

Love from Addis,
Becca

No comments:

Post a Comment