Thursday, January 30, 2014

The Ignorance is Real


I had a conversation recently with a friend of mine who is Ethiopian about the annoying things that people from the US say when they come to Africa. I know. The list could be endless, thankfully Aiden’s wasn’t. Here are some of them (unfortunately, these are actual things people have said):

-“Oh, you speak English? How?”
-“They have water!”
-“There are buildings here!”
-“You really have a house?”
-“You’re wearing shoes!!”
“Where are all the animals?” – yours truly
I know this may not be the worst preconceived idea, but it does sound pretty dumb. I said this as I got off the plane in September. I also often get asked, “Why aren’t you posting pictures of the lions?” …ha! The only safari-ish animals that live in Ethiopia are crocodiles and hippos, both of which are hours away from where I live. So no, I don’t pass by an elephant every morning on my walk to work. The craziest thing I’ve seen was a really long snake and it was dead.

I’ll stop quoting before we all want to disown our country or slap everyone in it. I was guilty of thinking these things before moving here and even after getting here. I think most of us have this picture of Africa that is so wrong…big plains, huts, lions, and emaciated babies running through dirt roads…though these are some of the images that you’ll see here it certainly isn’t the end all be all. We think we know everything about Africa by the sad commercials we see...Isn't that true about most things though? We get a piece of the story and think we know it all. I am thankful though that with each day passing my ignorant thoughts about this country get remolded into what this beautiful place truly is. Yes, poverty is a word I would use to describe Ethiopia but my list would include so many more words that are positive. Lively, Kind, Colorful, Abundant, Genuine…
I can only speak for Ethiopia, specifically Addis Ababa and a few other cities but the places I have been are strikingly different than every preconceived thought I had about this country.

“The same thing goes for when you talk about someone without knowing them. Foreigners talk about Africa and Ethiopia as if they have been here and experienced it. People don’t realize that our country and even our continent is changing. They think that everyone is hungry, waiting for some donation of food and water. That is so wrong. We, as a country are changing. We are finding the problems, and we are fixing them. Ethiopians are a welcoming people, but when foreigners come with their incorrect thoughts about our lives, it makes us angry.” –Meron, my amazing friend and translator.

I guess this lesson that I am learning can span across all areas of my life...judgment is risky business.


No comments:

Post a Comment