Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Poverty, Love, and Restoration


How do I love the people who don’t speak my language or who don’t even speak? How do I love the mother who is sitting on the corner of a highway, nursing her newborn? How do I love the man with hollow eyes and broken limbs who works his way up and down the streets begging for food?
Thank you Jesus for your Word that provides answers to my questions.

“Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world.  For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me…The King will then reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’” Matthew 25:34-36,40
This is not a blog post to promote a good deed, but rather to share about the love of Jesus that compels people to serve and care for others deeply. 
Someone once told me that if you feel the Holy Spirit calling you to do something you better do it within 10 seconds or your human heart will kick in and you won’t do it at all. I believe this to be true in some cases.
As I got out of the car this past week to go to the store to purchase new computers, my eyes met the eyes of a little girl. She was probably around seven. In contrast to her obvious lack was the bright purple dress she had on. Her sweet face and beautiful dress contradicted and distracted the dirtiness that enveloped her body. She approached me, putting her little hand onto mine, indicating that she wanted money. She then touched her hand to her mouth indicating hunger. I hate these hand motions, they wreck my heart. As usual though, I carried on, ignoring the pleas. I hate that I do that but in my mind it is the easiest solution…to just ignore it. How foolish. As I got into the store I was reminded of the scripture above. I felt compelled to feed this girl, and with the 10 second rule in my mind I knew I needed to leave or else I wouldn’t do anything. I told Rahel I would be right back. I went into the cafe next door and bought some pastries. I returned to the street but my purple dress girl was gone. Rahel by then had figured out what I had done and decided to help me search for my friend. We turned down a side street and there she was, playing with her mama’s hands and smiling. Her smile was contagious and pure.  I walked to her slowly, absorbing the moment…I bent down, cupped her face in my hands, and gave her the food. She said Thank You, and I knew I had to turn away quickly or I would burst into tears. I don’t know what I did for that girl besides giving her food, but I do know that she reminded me of a holy truth that I often forget, or more accurately I think I just blatantly ignore it. These people who spend their days begging are not lower than me, they are not unworthy in fact they are perfectly and completely worthy of love, truth, and all the good things that they don’t get to experience. I have been praying this week that the Lord would fix my heart, that he would give me the beggars pain and that my compassion would abound for these people. I hate that I feel entitlement, and that I so often ignore their pleas when I am fully capable of giving them eye contact, a hello, a smile, food, money, or a hand to hold. So as I learn what it means to love the least of these, I would encourage you, whoever you are reading this, to also fix your heart for the people you encounter who need something that you can give them. Ask Jesus to give you his eyes, and to remind your heart that they are a human being, with a soul and a purpose, and they are just as broken as you. You can be a piece of restoration for them by simply looking them in the eye, making the invisible, for the first time, visible.

As always, I miss you all more than words can describe. Soon and very soon, 17 more days until I am home!!!!
So much love,
Becca

2 comments:

  1. Such a lovely encounter! I love reading your blog and seeing what Jesus is doing in your life. I hope you had a nice Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Annie! Love reading your stories as well!!!

    ReplyDelete