Sunday, April 20, 2014

Easter in Ethiopia


The last couple have days have been touching ones for me and I have come to this blank word document multiple times, trying to truthfully reflect as well as share with you the events that so deeply moved my heart.

Thursday I attended a maundry service for the first time, most of which I cried through. It was unbelievably beautiful, raw and sweet. It was between the staff and the woman in WAR’s program, a very real comparison to what took place so many years ago. I imagine that the emotions in the upper room and our office were quite similar, emotions of discomfort, disbelief yet humble acceptance of a bold act.  As Cherry washed my own feet and prayed over me, I tried everything to keep from crying, my effort failed. It was a full circle moment of my time here, one I will always remember. As I watched the woman I have taught, have their feet washed, faces filled with awe, I cried more. As one woman put it, “Since coming to WAR and coming to Christ, my life has truly began, I have started to live.” Powerful words which, to no surprise, brought me to more tears. I am grateful and blessed to be apart of this ministry that strives to be nothing less than the face of Christ to these women.
 
Friday was peaceful, we had no work and I had time to just rest, something my life here lacks often. In the evening I went to my churches good Friday service. I went into it a little bit weary, bringing a lot of endeavors from this season to the cross. As I took part of classic good Friday service activities, a wave of reflection came over me. I nailed my struggled sins to a small wooden cross, my hands were washed and I took of the bread and drank of the cup… reminders of the incredible sacrifice, reminders of how good the Lord has been to me over my 19 years, especially during these past 8 months. Reminders of how far He has brought me and a glimpse full of assurance into the future.

Saturday was busy, it felt like Rahel and I walked the entire country of Ethiopia. What started as a morning walk turned into quite a long, full day walk. We went into tiny shops, ate lunch, drank coffee, and perused new roads and stores. We also filled our fridge because honest to God all that was inside it was cucumbers and strawberry yogurt, I confess that though I have grown these 8 months, I have not grown to love grocery shopping :)

And Sunday, He has risen indeed! Rahel and I dressed up in our best, got into our tiny and familiar cab and drove our 30 minute drive to church. The street corners were filled with the skins of freshly killed goats, sheep, cows and chickens. Not my favorite sight, but evidence to how big the celebration of Easter is here! I really do love the church I go to here and always leave incredibly blessed and grateful for the community it provides, a small taste of home as I meet and greet with people serving here from the US. My afternoon was filled with reading passages from the Word and from numerous books people gave me back in September as going away presents. A quiet resurrection Sunday indeed…

I am closing in on just 2 weeks until my departure and an even quicker date, just 5 days until my parents arrive. It seems unreal. This weekend of pondering and praise has encouraged my heart all the more about my time here. Feelings of sadness have begun to settle in about leaving this beautiful place, but a sense of gratitude and nothing but love for my time here has settled as well. I cannot say it enough, but I am just so thankful for these 8 months, though there have been hills to overcome, they do not define my time or take away from all the goodness of Ethiopia.

I arrive back in the US in early May and look forward to a summer of reconnecting with friends and family who I have missed greatly.

Much love and happiest of Easters to all of you,
Becca

No comments:

Post a Comment