Monday, October 14, 2013

Month One!!!

"Many are the plans in a person's heart, but it is the Lord's purpose that prevails"

I never would have guessed the amount of strength that I would need to move away from home and jump into a new country where I don't speak the language and I know no one. I got on the plane to Ethiopia very confident in myself, the work I would be doing and my own strength to get me through whatever came my way. The best word to describe my last month would be challenging, and the more I relied on myself to prevail and be successful, the more I grew weary, doubtful of my calling, and sad. I had a picture in my head of what life would be like here. I thought I would be holding babies and rescuing women 24/7. I soon was faced with the fact that that fantasy would never be my life. Instead, my reality is more challenging--but much more rewarding. It is a strange blessing to be in a country where no one knows who you are and where everyday there are countless unknowns. I have been learning each day to give up my own desires of what I want this year to look like, and to rely on Jesus' plan for this year. God's purpose for bringing me here may be, and probably is far different than what I ever thought it would be-- but I think that is true for most callings in life. The Lord is showing me daily what it looks like to give up what I want in order to experience what He wants.
I don't want my life in Africa to seem like it is always the perfect, adventure filled fairytale. I know it is better to be vulnerable and to share the hard parts rather than paint a picture of the perfect, gap-year experience.
With all of that said, here is a recap of month one in Africa!!!

I spent a lot of this month preparing lesson plans. The after school program didn't start until mid October (aka now). Because I do not have a college degree in teaching English I have had to read many books and articles on teaching English!! It has been fun to learn so much, and to do all this research. I have made countless powerpoints, lesson plans, and project ideas for the next year of teaching.
This month has also been filled with many hilarious moments, as Rahel and I both learn how to live on our own. The first night in our house I told her I would make dinner, which ended in rice that was like oatmeal. We have also had many other issues like the shower curtain breaking so our bathroom is always a pond, the sink broke, our power goes out everyday and neither of us really know how to fix any of it. Rahel is one of the kindest humans I have ever met, and thankfully is really easy going. None of our home-hiccups seem to phase her.
My days are filled with miles of walking, lots of stares (there are not a lot of 18 year old white girls walking around Africa:), lots of amazing people who love me, and lots of adorable, curious kids.
I am so excited to be finally starting my "official" work here, which includes teaching the women going through WAR's programs in the mornings and teaching the kid's at the after school program. My day starts at 7 AM and doesn't end until 6PM, it reminds me of high school a little bit:)

In the past month I have been welcomed, loved and accepted. I have learned about people, myself and the culture of Ethiopia. I have cried, laughed, and danced with some of the sweetest people on the planet. This country has captured my heart, though there have been moments of pain, there have been many more filled with joy.
If any string of words could best describe my first month (or my life), it would be these from Amazing Grace,

'tis grace hath brought me safe thus far, and grace will lead me home.  
 Thank you friends and family for your love and encouragement. Every time I get a message from a friend back home, my day is made! Cheers to one month, here's to seven more!

So much love, 
Becca



Here are some pictures of month one!



Torrential downpours for the first 2 weeks of life here.
My little kitchen.


Paulson puppy!!!!
Rahel and I get
lentil samosas after work almost everyday. 50 cents
for four of them! Nomnom.
Roommate Love!!!
We had Rahel's sister over for dinner one night.
Our big patio and plastic furniture :)
Job, cutie head.





Man and a random goat.


Our neighborhood pet. 





2 comments:

  1. This is so unreal Becca. So amazed by how you're embracing the unknowns of this chapter of your life! You are doing such a good thing there. Keep on pressing on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jon, I assume Dewaal? :) Excited to see you and your sweet fam at christmas!!!

      Delete